Rigel is a 4WD (four wheel drive) differentially-steered robot. It is a
superb expandable base for most any desktop robot project, especially
those that require carrying heavier loads, like video cameras and GPS
Each of the four wheels is independently driven via pre-modified R/C
servo motors. Thanks to its rubber-nibbed tires, you can operate Rigel
over a laminated tabletop (e.g. Formica), carpet, tile (all except very
smooth/polished), hardwood flooring, concrete, asphalt, grass, and even
Weight, without batteries, is approximately 23 ounces. Locomotion is via
X4 44 oz-in. (at 6vdc) R/C servo motors, modified for continuous rotation.
The servo motors use Futaba-style splines.
- Overall length: 6.75"
- Overall width: 6"
- Overall height: 4.25" (to top of second deck)
- Bottom/top deck length: 6.75"
- Bottom/top deck width: 5 1/8"
- Bottom/top mounting area: Approximately) 60 sq. inches
- Riser length (distance between decks): 1 1/4"
Body Material is made of 6mm thick PVC rigid expanded plastic. Rigel is
available in colors: black, marine blue (shown), and red.
Kit comes with all mechanical parts: plastic body pieces, assembly
hardware, servo motors, and wheels. Includes illustrated instructions. Add
any microcontroller that can operate R/C servos -- Parallax Board of
Education, OOPic, Basic Stamp, etc. The OOPic R controller shown in
main photograph is optional, and is not included with the Rigel kit.
- Wheels: X4
- Tire diameter: 65mm (2 1/2"); tread 7/8" wide
- Tire material: Medium-hardness treaded rubber (with
"studs" for traction)
- Hub: Custom machined from PVC plastic
- Futaba-spline wheel hub, to match Futaba R/C servos